About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-something second year teacher living in the midwest. I am a Christian woman and proud of it! I am the middle child of three girls. I am the proud aunt of the very beautiful Lil E and Lil C!! I love TV, movies, reading, and baseball. I am in my second year of teaching , but my first year teaching kindergarten. It has been quite the journey!

03 November 2010

I promise you, the right man won't care

Don't keep reading if you don't Clockwork Angel spoiled for you...





I detailed my feelings toward Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument Series here. However, I recently finished Clockwork Angel and had to share my feelings about it (my book reading buddy hasn't had time to start her copy yet and I am dying to talk with somebody who had read it. Sorry Momma, you're a great listener, but you have no idea what I'm talking about...)


At first I was very disappointed that again, I had fallen for the "other guy" in one of Clare's books as I fell head over heels for Jem. Love me some Jem. He's so sweet and caring and nice (a lot like Simon, but not as funny :)

Will on the other hand I could do without. The bit near the end where he was telling Tessa that he just wanted to sleep with her, but would never marry her or even date her. I think I punched my book. Jerk! I yelled, glad to find out that I had indeed made the right choice in going for Jem.

Then of course the epilogue happened, Will went to visit Magnus, presumably to find out if there was a way that Tessa could bear children. So maybe he isn't quite the jerk I thought and Tessa will end up with him and I will again have chosen the "wrong" guy.

Plus Jem will probably die :( But he is the best. Evidence: " 'I know you feel inhuman, and as if you are set apart, away from life and love, but...' His voice cracked a little, the first time Tessa had heard him sound unsure. He cleared his throat. 'I promise you, the right man won't care.'"
And then my heart melted. It could be that I'm especially prone to sighing at the whole "right man" thing in my life right now, but I think that Jem is the best.

Here are some more insightful quotes from the romantic Jem, who gently kisses your hand instead of wanting to sleep with you but never marry you... "Whatever you are physically, male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy-- all those things matter less than what your heart contains."

"It is only ever about whether something is good for the Nephilim or bad for the Nephillim. Sometimes I think that we forget to ask whether it is good or bad for the world." (Umm hi, let's substitute Americans, Democrats, Republicans, politicians for Nephilim and I think we have a pretty valid statement as well...)

"Sometimes...our lives can change so fast that the change outpaces our minds and our hearts. It's those times, I think, when our lives have altered but we still long for the time before everything was altered-- that is when we feel the greatest pain. I can tell you though, from experience, you grow accustomed to it. You learn to live your new life, and you can't imagine , or really remember how things were before."

"There are more important things than being careful."

"But there is more to life than not dying."

"And Mizpah, for he said, the Lord watch between you and thee when we are absent one from another."

"It is as great a thing to love as to be loved."

"I believe in good and evil...And I believe that the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks or endless torment. I do not believe that you can threaten people into goodness."

Here is a quote not said by Jem, but about him... "There was something in the way Jem looked at her, she thought. Like he could see into and through her. But nothing inside her, nothing he saw or heard, could bother or upset him."

How can you not fall for this guy???

Especially when your other choice is a guy who says, "I've never seen someone get so excited over books before. You'd think they were diamonds." To which Tessa astutely replies, "Well, they are, aren't they?" True dat. You tell him Tessa.

Here are some of my other fav quotes:
*"If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist?"
*"The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong." This was before I had really met Jem and still thought Will was charming...
*"Only the weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry."
*"Inanimate objects are harmless indeed, Mr. Mortmain. But one cannot always say the same of those men who use them." Henry is so wise.
*"It could hardly hurt the Nephilim to cease thinking that all those who do not live exactly as they do must therefore not truly live at all."
*"It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it."
*"I'm a lady, Sophie. It is expected that a man sacrifice himself for a lady's safety." [Jessamine] "That's rubbish." [Sophie] Girl Power!

Anywho, you can basically judge how much I liked a book by how many quotes from it I write down in my quote book. This one was pretty high :)

I really liked Tessa's character. Partially because my sisters and I once wrote a Harry Potter FanFic about Hermione's much younger sister Tessa and her exploits at Hogwarts... and partially because I thought that she was a strong woman, who stood up for herself, who didn't let Will take advantage of her and who used her gifts to save not only herself, but others.

I got Clockwork Angel at the same time as I am Number Four, which I've never reviewed... I'll have to get on that, but I lent my copy to my friend J...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?