About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-something second year teacher living in the midwest. I am a Christian woman and proud of it! I am the middle child of three girls. I am the proud aunt of the very beautiful Lil E and Lil C!! I love TV, movies, reading, and baseball. I am in my second year of teaching , but my first year teaching kindergarten. It has been quite the journey!

04 March 2011

I am Grateful For... My Co-Workers

I am so very grateful for my co-workers. They are fabulous groups of women who are so much fun to be around every day! They are also very passionate and enthusiastic about teaching. I have learned so very much from them and am grateful for their help, support and acceptance into their team each and every day.

The school I work at has seven first grade classes, so that means seven first grade teachers. Which means seven personalities, seven opinions about everything... it could spell disaster, but rarely does. It is so nice to have so many opinions and ideas working together to create our units. It is also really nice, because at a meeting even if only half of us are working and the rest are chatting we can still get a lot done :)

I feel so blessed to be working with these women. They are so generous with their time, advice and help. They go out of their way to check on me and ask if I need any help. I feel very comfortable going to them for advice or with questions, which I do a lot.

But they also respect me and treat me as an equal which is so nice. I feel totally comfortable contributing ideas, voicing my opinion (even when it's contrary to someone else's) and being actively engaged in the decision-making process. We've been doing a lot of unit planning and I feel that I've been a pretty integral part of the process and I am so grateful for their professional respect even though I am the newbie.

They have been so welcoming to me. Since the first day I worked with them, I felt like a valued member of the team. In addition to their respect, I also feel that we've truly formed friendships and enjoy each other's company outside of our professional lives. I know that they really care about me. One of them was thinking about setting me up with a friend of hers, but decided not to because she and her hubby thought he might be a little crazy. "We had to really trust him to send you out with them. Danny [her hubby] said we couldn't leave you in his [the friend's] hands." They're so sweet and I love them so much!

I am going to miss them so very much. I have about five weeks left at this school and just realized how much I will miss them. The students are great and I will be sad to leave them, but who I'm going to miss most is the teachers. They are the "grown-ups" that I talk to and interact with every day. They are the people I tell the funny/sweet stories about my students. They are who hear my complaints. They have been so welcoming and inviting and I will miss them terribly. I hope that I am able to work with them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?