About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-something second year teacher living in the midwest. I am a Christian woman and proud of it! I am the middle child of three girls. I am the proud aunt of the very beautiful Lil E and Lil C!! I love TV, movies, reading, and baseball. I am in my second year of teaching , but my first year teaching kindergarten. It has been quite the journey!

15 September 2010

Field of Dreams = Love

My whole family is absolutely in love with the movie Field of Dreams.(See earlier post) We love Shoeless Joe.

We love James Earl Jones.

We love the great dialogue about baseball, the game we love.
Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.

John Kinsella: Is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella: It's Iowa.
John Kinsella: Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.
[John starts to walk away]
Ray Kinsella: Is there a heaven?
John Kinsella: Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
[Ray looks around, seeing his wife playing with their daughter on the porch]
Ray Kinsella: Maybe this is heaven.

Ray Kinsella: Hey... Dad?
[John turns]
Ray Kinsella: [choked up] "You wanna have a catch?"

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated. I've heard that old men wake up and scratch itchy legs that been dust for over fifty years. That was me. I'd wake up at night with the smell of the ball park in my nose, the cool of the grass on my feet... The thrill of the grass.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Man, I did love this game. I'd have played for food money. It was the game... The sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?
Ray Kinsella: Yeah.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: I used to love travelling on the trains from town to town. The hotels... brass spittoons in the lobbies, brass beds in the rooms. It was the crowd, rising to their feet when the ball was hit deep. Shoot, I'd play for nothing!

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.


And I could watch this video all day long.

The summer after I graduated high school, my family traveled around the midwest visiting family. While on the trip we made a day trip out to the filming location of Field of Dreams. It was an amaing day, beautiful weather and a wonderful experience. The farm house is the same and the field has been maintained. Complete strangers were playing a pick-up game of baseball on the field. Taking it easy on the younger kids, playing, laughing, enjoying the beautiful day and the wonderful game we love.

We spent time with our feet in the grass in the outfield. Asked Daddy if he wanted to have a catch in the outfield. Sat on the bleachers and pretended to fall off like Karin. We took our swings and the plate and ran the bases. We pretended to disappear into the corn (which was the perfect height). It was one of my favorite days ever. Everything was perfect. In fact it was so great, that we're scared to ever go back in case it isn't as wonderful. When we went we had no idea what to expect, but our day far exceeded our expectations!






















Live the Magic, Have Faith in Simplicity and Always Dare to Dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?