About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-something second year teacher living in the midwest. I am a Christian woman and proud of it! I am the middle child of three girls. I am the proud aunt of the very beautiful Lil E and Lil C!! I love TV, movies, reading, and baseball. I am in my second year of teaching , but my first year teaching kindergarten. It has been quite the journey!

30 September 2010

Talking 'Bout My Generation

I came across this article this morning and thought that it was very interesting. It is about the Millennial Generation, those born after 1980, and how we might actually be able to accomplish something in the future! Which is refreshing since I'm used to hearing how lazy, unmotivated we are since we all live in our parents basements... or something like that.

The author write about how open-minded we are as a generation and that while our parents may have said they embraced diversity, we are even more so. That we form bonds and friendships with those how are "different" from us naturally and don't generally associate ourselves with one identifier like black or Jewish or Israeli.

One point that I wish she had made, but I guess wouldn't really have fit into the article, is about why we are lazy, unmotivated, etc. as some people claim. For many in our generation those qualities may ring true. But how did we become that way? I don't think that for most of us it was all our own doing. Those complaining about how we're lazy and unmotivated are the ones who bought us every toy/movie/video game we wanted. They're the people who told us we were special and amazing and did a great job even when we completely bombed. Yes we are partially to blame, but I always feel as if those who are complaining about our generation's bad habits are probably the ones who gave them to us, our parents. Now I'm not singling out any specific parents and I think that mine did an excellent job if I do say so myself. But I think that those pointing the fingers at their "lazy" offspring should look at what they did to raise them that way. We are definitely a product of our upbringing.

*gets off soapbox*

2 comments:

  1. I don't think all of us are lazy! I do think it is a lot harder of an economy right now... &maybe kids struggling to get by, choose to live in their parents basements to save money. I mean it takes longer to finish school these days and to find jobs. I don't think it is so much that we are "lazy" but that we live in a very different world, where things seem to be a lot harder to obtain.
    Yes there are some lazy people out there, but I don't think our generation should be dubbed "lazy." We are spending more time in school... so who knows what possibilities will come from that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I don't think we're lazy either. But if we some people think we are, they should look at who made us that way :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?