About Me

My photo
I am a twenty-something second year teacher living in the midwest. I am a Christian woman and proud of it! I am the middle child of three girls. I am the proud aunt of the very beautiful Lil E and Lil C!! I love TV, movies, reading, and baseball. I am in my second year of teaching , but my first year teaching kindergarten. It has been quite the journey!

02 February 2011

Snowpocalypse 2011 part 1

The last two days in the Midwest have basically been filled with panic-inducing weather reports and long lines at grocery stores and gas stations, stocking up for "the big storm" or as the internet seems to have dubbed it "the Snowpocalypse." We were supposed to get 10-16" of snow!! Which is a lot, even for the mitten :)

Yesterday at school, my students were all atwitter with thoughts and hopes of a snow day. At the start of the day, I gathered them all together and told them, in a whisper, that if we talked about a snow day it would jinx it and we'd have to go to school, but if we didn't mention, we probably wouldn't have school. Problem solved. The only time anyone else said anything about it for the rest of the day was in a whisper :)

Momma found out that they had a snow day around 5:00pm, before the snow had even started falling! Daddy knew his office was closed when he headed home around 5:30... Jillibean still hadn't heard. I was furiously checking the internet, watching the school closings scrolling on TV, taking time from playing Angry Birds to check the texts on my phone... nothing. Finally around 8:30, I decided that I was jinxing it by not having anything ready for school the next day. So I graded some spelling papers, looked over the math lesson and started packing my lunch. Just as I went to wash some grapes, Momma saw on my school district's website that we were closed!!! Yay! I was very glad.

A few minutes later our house phone rang and it was for me. Weird, because that rarely happens. It was a teacher from school, calling to tell me that there was no school. Except it appeared that our phone fan out was going backwards. I was supposed to call the person who calls her, but somehow the fan out got started at the bottom instead of the top. So she called the person who was supposed to call her (the person I'm supposed to call) Confused yet? but couldn't get a hold of her, so she called me. Why/how she had my home phone number, I have no idea...

Anyway, so I called the first grade teacher I'm supposed to call and she had just heard. Then a few minutes later I got a call from our music teacher, the person who is supposed to call me... I have no idea what happened, but hopefully nobody showed up today!

I stayed up extra late, watching some DVRed episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place and went to bed around midnight. It was very nice knowing ahead of time, so I didn't have to set an alarm and get up early. :)

Happy Snow Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?